how to apply for permanent residence in canada from outside canada

How to apply for permanent residence in Canada from outside Canada?

How to apply for permanent residence in Canada from outside Canada?

What is a Canadian Permanent Resident?

A permanent resident is someone who has been granted permanent resident status after immigrating to Canada but is not a citizen of Canada. Permanent residents are foreign nationals. A temporary resident in Canada, such as a student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident.


Apply for a CANADA PR VISA via the Canadian Express Entry program.
Apply for permanent residency in Canada through key economic immigration programs managed by Express Entry. You can only apply for permanent residence through Express Entry if you’ve received an invitation to apply.

How Express Entry works

Express Entry is an online system that we use to manage skilled worker applications for permanent residence.

You can take the assessment to each whether you are eligible for Express Entry or not.

Express Entry has three immigration programs, each with its own set of requirements. This form will take you about 10 to 15 minutes to complete.

You will be questioned about your:

Nationality, age, and language proficiency.
Details on any job offer’s family members’ education and work experience.

Documents for your application for permanent residence

Language test results, education assessments, job offers, police certificates, medical exams, proof of funds. Based on your assessment answers you will be invite/ rejected for the Express Entry Program. In case your application got approved get ready with these necessary documents.


Important Certificates and Forms: 

  • Police certificates
  • Medical Exams
  • Proof of Funds
  • Birth Certificate: Required in case if you’re declaring dependent children.
  • Representative Form: Required if you’ve hired a representative for yourself.
  • Common-law union Form: Required if you’ve declared your marital status as “common-law”.
  • Marriage certificate: Required if you’ve declared your marital status as “married”.
  • Divorce certificate and legal separation agreement: Required if you’ve declared your marital status as “divorced”
  • Death certificate: Required if you’ve declared your marital status as “widowed”
  • Adoption Certificate: Required when a dependent child is listed as “adopted”

Various other documents

You only need to submit these if they are on your personalized document checklist. If you do not submit these documents, your application may not be refused or rejected. They are only used to determine whether you meet the requirements of the program for which you are applying.

Apply for permanent residence if you are invited

Once your application is approved for Express Entry. Fill out the form of PR, upload documents, pay fees and submit your application.

Your Express Entry application invitation is only valid for 60 days. You should begin filling out the online form as soon as possible so that you can obtain all of the necessary information and documents before your invitation expires.

If your application is approved

Interviews inside and outside Canada, crossing the border and settling in Canada.