To get a visa for Ghana for tourism or for business, you want to visit the website of an embassy of Ghana close to you. You cannot do everything online at the moment. At most consulates of Ghana, you can do everything by post. But sometimes you need to book an appointment and go to the consulate with your documents. It is simple for most passports in the world.
You don’t need a visa for Ghana if you have a passport from the ECOWAS and from some African, Caribbean, and Asian countries. countries. See more details below if you need a visa for Ghana.
How to get a visa for Ghana
A Ghana visa is an authorization given to enable a person to travel and entry into Ghana. Visa is not a guarantee for entry into Ghana as it is subject to fulfillment of conditions at the point of entry. Yet, before entering Ghana you need to apply for a visa. Let us discuss the steps on how to get a visa for Ghana.
Types of Ghana visas
These are the types of visas you can get to visit, live, study or work in Ghana. The invitation documents you need are the main difference among the applications for these different visas.
- Tourist/Short term visas
- Business visas
- Transit visas
- Employment visas
- Student visas
- Diplomatic and service visas
- Other visas
Documents required to process a Ghana visa
These are some of the documents that you might need to get a Ghana visa. Prepare the following documents, before you start. You might need to upload them throughout the application process.
- Original passport with 6 months validity and a least three blank pages. The amendment pages on your passport are not suitable for visa issuance. If your passport doesn’t satisfy these conditions, you’ll need to renew it or get a new one before applying for a visa. You submit your original passport, not a copy.
- Completed visa application form with signature.
- Two Passport size color photos are stapled or pasted on the application form. You should take these photos within the last 6 months.
- A hotel reservation OR a letter of invitation with a copy of the host’s passport or Identification document is required.
- Business or resident address and telephone number.
- Financial means
- Proposed date of travel
- Name and address for accommodation in Ghana.
- Letter of consent from a parent or legal guardian for a child under 18 years.
- Invitation letter
- Proof of Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate
- Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate
Visa processing steps for Ghana
For a tourist visa application, you need to sign up on the official Ghanaian visa website of your closest consulate.
These are some of the steps. They can be different if you apply in person or by post.
- Select the Nationality, Country of Resident, Visa consulate, and Submission mode. (Postal or Counter services).
- The next step will be the type of passport, and port of arrival in Ghana. Date of birth, Mobile number, Mail id.
- Further would be the personal details related to Passport.
- Resident details will be the next step: Profession/Occupation details, Emergency contact details, Travel details, Accommodation in Ghana, or invitee details.
- Uploading the documents
- Reviewing the form
- Making the payment. Payment modes available are Debit cards, Credit Card, Net Banking, and UPI.
Do I need a visa for Ghana?
Ghana is in the ECOWAS, the Economic Community of West African States. So you don’t need a visa if you have a passport from most ECOWAS countries. These are Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, The Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau,
Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
You also don’t need a visa if you have a passport from some African, Caribbean, and Asian countries. These are Jamaica, Kenya, Singapore, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Zimbabwe,
Mauritius, Seychelles, Barbados, Rwanda, Guyana, and St. Vincent and Grenadines.
How much does it cost to get a Ghana visa?
Fees depend on the embassy or consulate where you are applying. I show below the fees from the Mumbai consulate in India. As I show those from the New York consulate in the US and the London High Commission in the UK. Fees at these consulates for a Ghana visa are as follows.
A single entry visa, valid for three months is 8,500 Indian rupees (INR or ₹) in India. It is 60 US dollars (USD or $) in the US. And it is 20 UK pounds (GBP or £) in the UK.
A multiple entry visa, valid for six months is 17,000 ₹ in India. It is 100 $ in the US. And it is 100 £ in the UK.
A multiple entry visa, valid for one year is 25,500 INR in India. It is 150 USD in the US. And it is 150 GBP in the UK.
A single entry transit visa, valid for three months is 4,200 INR in India. It is 50 USD in the US. And it is 20 GBP in the UK.
A multiple entry transit visa, valid for three months is 6,500 ₹ in India. It is 100 USD in the US. And it is 55 GBP in the UK.
You pay an extra administration fee of INR 1,800 in India for each application.
How long does it take to get a visa to Ghana?
The standard visa applications take at least 15 business days from the day of submission. That is after submission of the documents at the Ghana High Commission or consulate.
Conditions for the visa issued
Visas granted can be for tourism, study, business, or transit depending on the purpose. These are its conditions.
• Visa granted can be single or multiple entries.
• Visas are valid for 3 months and must travel within 3 months from the date of issue. Visas valid for up to 1 year are for a specific purpose.
• Visitors traveling for business purposes must submit evidence of the purpose of travel. They can submit an invitation letter of the Ghanain Nationals from the hosts.
• Visitors have to provide a return ticket to the country for they have the right to admission. They may have to show evidence of funds for the duration of the stay. Prospective employees may undertake employment within the authorized immigrant quota.
• If you come from a country without a Ghana consulate, you can get an emergency visa at the entry point. But the Director of the Immigration Service must allow it before you arrive in Ghana.
• Tourists can stay for up to 3 months. If the Ghana Immigration Service finds that they have enough financial support.
• Tourists who enter as visitors cannot take employment. Even if the vacancy happens in Immigrant Quota.
• Applicants visiting Ghana must provide a letter of invitation from the host in Ghana.
• Travelers must ensure they have all the necessary documents before arriving in Ghana.
Instruction for applying for the visa
You can download all visa forms from the High Commission website.
• The forms must be in typing or written in capital letters.
• You must sign the visa application form.
• You must attach all required documents to the forms during electronic submission.
• Any misleading information results in delays or rejection of your application.
Timings for submission
These timings depend on the consulate, these are from the Mumbai consulate of Ghana in India.
Submission timings are Monday to Friday 10 am to 12 noon. Collection timings are Monday to Friday 10 am to 12 noon.