Depending on your travel to Greece, many types of visas will apply to the occasion. In case you want to go on a visit, study, or work and live there, you will have to apply for a different Greece Schengen Visa.
How to get a visa for Greece?
It depends on the intent of your travel to Greece. Various types of visas will apply to the occasion. Suppose you are planning to go on a holiday, study. Or work and stay there, you will have to apply for a different Greece Schengen Visa, accordingly.
For the latest visa updates, visit the Embassy of Greece website.
Read more below, comment, or contact us if you have any questions.
Greece is a party to the Schengen Agreement. So U.S. citizens may enter Greece for tourism or business purposes without a visa for stays of up to 90 days.
Your passport should have at least six months of validity left for entry into Greece. Greek law allows three months of passport validity after your expected departure date. You may not be allowed to continue your trip if you travel to a country that needs six months of validity. We suggest that you have a validity duration of at least six months to prevent any interruptions.
People traveling on a confirmed missing or stolen passport may not be able to enter Greece. And will be returned to their original point of departure. The Greek immigration authorities are the focus of this decision. The U.S. Embassies are powerless to interfere. Only at the Embassy in Athens are emergency passports released. Crew members do not fly to ports of entry on the air, land, or sea.
If requested, you must arrive in the country with proof of ample funds. And a return airline ticket or other evidence that you are leaving Greece. Credit cards also meet an appropriate demand for funds.
Official and diplomatic U.S. passport holders must receive a pre-arrival Schengen visa. If you are traveling with a U.S. official passport, you will not be accepted without a Visa to enter Greece.
The Greek authorities will stamp your passport if you are a U.S. resident with a passport stating your birthplace as the Northern Republic of Macedonia.
Your U.S. passport must be accepted as a legal travel document if you are a U.S. resident with a passport stating your birthplace as Skopje or the Republic of Macedonia. Be conscious, nonetheless:
You will be asked to complete a brief form on which you will position the entry stamp.
While you are in Greece, hold the form with your passport and present it upon departure. If you lose the way, you must visit a police station. And file a complaint before you are allowed to leave the country by the Greek authorities.
HIV / AIDS RESTRICTIONS:
For travelers to or international citizens of Greece. The United States Department of State is unaware of any HIV / AIDS entry restrictions.
Required documents for a Greece Visa Application:
- Download the application form, fill it, and with sincerity. However, you can also fill the Visa application form offline and then print a hard-copy.
- Two photos per person; the image should be of passport size. Get more about photo requirements and specifications for a Greece Visa.
- Your passport and hard copies of your previous visas – valid for at least three months beyond the return date. Also, your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Travel medical insurance confirmation of least 30,000 € coverage within Greece.
- Besides, a cover letter stating the purpose of the visit to Greece and itinerary.
- Evidence of civil status, marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse.
- Flight Itinerary with flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Greece and dates.
- Hotel Reservation for the duration of the intended stay in Greece.
- Means of subsistence – Proof of the necessary financial means for the period of stay in Greece.
- Employment contract
- bank statement of the latest six months
- Leave approval letter from employer.
- Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of stipend.
- A copy of your business license
- Currently, the company bank statement for the latest six months.
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- Pension statement of the latest six months
- efficient income generated by property proof of the latest six months
*Note: The signed application form must follow the above-mentioned mandatory documents. Also handed at the appropriate Embassy or its representative in your home country.
List of documents required for the most frequent purposes of Greece Visa Application:
Greece Tourist/Visitor Visa:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Greece with the proper address and the phone number.
- Bank statement of the last six months
- Passport copies
Greece Visa for Study, Training, Research, or another type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of courses attended
- Financial Statement
Greece Airport Transit Visa:
- A different kind of permit in the transit country
- Hard Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Greece Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract a bank statement, or business license)
- Attest travel permission from parents (parental travel consent)
- Yet, If one parent lives in another country – they attest parental travel consent.
Temporary visa extension for foreigners in Greece
However, an extension to a Greece visa is viable in exceptional cases where special reasons arise after entry in Greece. In this way, one can apply for the Greece Visa.
Is Greece Visa easy to get?
You are not alone if you have been pondering the idea of visiting the Schengen region. Every day, worldwide applications fly over the Schengen Embassies. It requires an in-depth review of the documents and the purposes of the flight.
The brooding portion may leave you with the uncertainty of the issuing rates figures. Assuming you have already become acquainted with the Schengen Visa type. Presumably puzzled by the notion of where to apply and not getting a notice of refusal!
Although Greece had a rejection rate of just 2 percent in 2014, things changed slightly. Today, if you apply for a Schengen visa in Germany, you have a 4.9 percent risk of being refused. Last year, 95.1 percent of applications received got accepted by the Greek embassies. In total, 855,285 applications were received in the previous year. It is the 5th most common country for visiting the Schengen region for short-term stays.
How much does a Greek visa cost?
When you apply for a visa to Greece, you will have to pay a certain amount of money as a visa fee, regardless of visa type. The Embassy is required to pay the visa fee. To cover the expenses arising from the processing of the visa application.
If your application is rejected or you decided to withdraw it while still being processed, the Greek Visa fee is non-refundable.
Depending on the type of visa you are applying for, your age, nationality. And the intended period of stay, the amount of money you need to pay for a Greek visa. A list of all the Greek visa fees can be found below.
Short-stay visa fees in Greece
If depending on your age, you apply for a Greek Schengen Visa. The costs are as follows:
- 80 Euros for adults.
- 40 EUR for children between the ages of six and 12 years old.
Children less than six years of age are exempt from paying any fee. Several applicants are exempt from paying this fee due to the Schengen visa code.
- EU / EEA and Swiss citizens’ family members.
- Pupils of the academy, staff, postgraduate students, and accompanying teachers. Who undertake a stay for research or educational training purposes.
- Researchers from third countries who travel for scientific research purposes.
- Non-profit representatives aged under 25.
- Holders of passports for diplomacy and service.
- Seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organized. Non-profit organizations are open to participants aged 25 or less.
Long-Stay Visa Fees for Greece
It is owing to the various sums of money for different categories. The list of long-stay visa fees for Greece is a little longer.
While the general national visa fee is set at EUR 180, the prices are different, as explained in this article below.
A lower fee of only EUR 90 is payable by:
- Students who are studying at a Greek university.
- EU Directives for people entering Greece:
- Studies, pupil exchange, unpaid traineeship, voluntary service, family reunion, scientific study
- Scholars who engage in unique exchange programs. Within the context of bilateral agreements or with the European Union co-financed programs.
- Seasonal jobs, including bilateral agreements that last up to six months with Albania. And up to 11 months with fish workers in Egypt.
- Members of creative groups that have applied for a stay of up to 1 year.
- Leaders of organized tourist groups are expected to stay for up to eight months.
- Athletes and trainers are preparing to remain in Greece for six months.
- University students engage in special traineeship programs that last up to 6 months.
For more information, please check How to Extend a Greece short-stay Visa.99
We write independent articles on travel and living anywhere for everyone. We talk about work, study, moving, health, school, travel, and shopping. Refugees and immigrants are welcome!