How to get a visa for Spain from USA?

Visa-free travel to Spain and Andorra is available to U.S. citizens for up to three months. Government rules in Spain may require a return or on-going ticket or proof of money, depending on the situation at the time. Americans who desire to stay in Spain longer than 90 days have to request a visa extension from the Spanish immigration authority in order to do so At least three weeks before the original entrance term expires, a police station must receive a request for an extension of no more than ninety days. When it is available, it is only under extreme circumstances.

Residents and workers from the United States must acquire a visa from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate located in their state or country of the last residency before travelling to Spain. It takes three months after a visa has been approved for foreigners in Spain to apply for a permit. In order to get a residence or work visa, you should consult the Ministry of Interior’s website or phone the Ministry of Interior toll-free in Spain at 060.

Different types of visas for Spain:

Short-Stay Visa Request:

U.S. citizens can enter Spain visa-free for durations of up to 90 days because Spain is a Schengen member (for both tourist or business purposes). Although you need to consider these below points while going for a short stay in Spain:

  • It is required that you have a passport valid for six months beyond your stay in Spain, two blank passport pages for entry and exit stamps
  • A confirmed round-trip or onward ticket
  • A valid health/accident/repatriation insurance with full international coverage, specifically mentioning cover in the Schengen Area
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover the duration of your stay in Spain.

Long-Term Visa Request:

To stay in Spain for more than three months, you must apply for a resident visa at the Spanish consulate or embassy nearest your previous residence (visit the website of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation to find the nearest consulate or embassy).

Spanish visa requirements vary depending on the kind of visa requested: student visa, non-lucrative resident visa, or work visa (to study, to reside, or to reside and work, respectively). However, you must seek an appointment at the embassy or consulate, present the required documents in original and copy form, as well as pay a cost (usually €60, but higher fees apply to US nationals), which is non-refundable in the event that your application is refused. You may check this article to apply for a long term visa to Spain.