How to migrate to Thailand

To migrate to Thailand, you can find a job in Thailand, or you can also study in Thailand. If you have a relative in Thailand, they can also help you.

Most immigrant visas require the applicant to be sponsored by a Thai citizen, a Thai permanent resident, or a Thai employer.

Migrate to Thailand? To move to Thailand, you need to get a visa. There are different kinds of visas for Thailand, but you need a Thailand Non-Immigrant visa to move there. These permits are for people who want to stay for a long time.

All websites linked in this article are in Thai and English. Use Google Translate or any other translation app if you need to.

Who needs a visa for Thailand

People from other countries usually need to get a visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or a Royal Thai Consulate-General in order to enter the Kingdom of Thailand. However, people from the following countries don’t need a visa if they meet the following conditions:

(1) They are from countries whose citizens don’t need a visa to visit Thailand. People from those countries will be able to stay in the Kingdom for up to 30 days. See Visa on Arrival for more information;

(2) They are citizens of countries that have deals with Thailand that let them visit without a visa. For more information, please look at the List of Countries that have Agreements with Thailand that let their citizens visit without a visa.

How to move to Thailand

You need to apply for a Thailand non-immigrant visa if you want to move there. You must also give the Thai Immigration officials a 90-Day Report if you plan to stay longer than 90 days. This means that you have to go to your local Thailand Immigration Department office every 90 days as long as you are still living there and give them your current address, even if it stays the same.

To stay in Thailand for more than three months, you can consider these options:

  • Working in Thailand.
  • Studying in Thailand.
  • Getting married in Thailand.
  • Retiring in Thailand.

Thailand non-immigrant visa

This type of visa is for people who want to visit Thailand for work, school, or business. The Non-Immigrant Visa comes in a number of different types, such as the B (for business), ED (for education), and O (for retirement).

People are usually only given non-immigrant visas for up to 90 days. You must get a one-year non-immigrant visa from the Bureau of Immigration in Bangkok if you want to stay longer. A Re-Entry Permit is also something you should get. This can be given to you for one or more visits.

Who can get this kind of visa?

  1. Official duties (Category “F”).
  2. Business/work (Category “B”).
  3. Investment with Thai government approval (Category “IM”).
  4. Investment or related activities under investment laws (Category “IB”).
  5. Study, work-study, observation tours, conferences, or training (Category “ED”).
  6. Film production, journalism, or reporting (Category “M”).
  7. Missionary work or religious activities with approval (Category “R”).
  8. Scientific research, training, or teaching in a research institute (Category “RS”).
  9. Other activities include visiting Thai families and voluntary work (Category “O”).

Applicants aged 50+ (Category “O” with multiple entries) need:

  • Proof of income of at least 60,000 baht per month or
  • Thai spouse visa with a marriage certificate and spouse’s Thai ID or passport.

How to apply

You can apply for a Thai non-immigrant visa at the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country.

  • Get the documents you need for the Non-Immigrant Visa you want to apply for.
  • Send in the documents and visa application.

If you want to apply at a certain Embassy or Consulate, you can do one of the following:

  • In-person or;
  • By mail, you must include a self-addressed, pre-paid package.

Once you are in Thailand with a different type of visa, you can apply to switch to a different type of Non-Immigrant Visa at the Thailand Immigration Department in Bangkok. For people with a Thai Visa On Arrival, this doesn’t apply.

Documents required by all types of Non-Immigrant Visa

Here are the basic documents required for all types of Non-Immigrant Visas:

  • Two fully completed visa application forms.
  • A passport or travel document with at least six months of validity, along with a copy.
  • Two recent 4 x 6 cm passport photos with a full-face view and no head coverings were taken within the last six months.
  • Proof of sufficient finances (20,000 Baht per individual and 40,000 Baht per family).
  • An acceptance letter from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare (Alien Occupational Control Division).

Thailand Permanent Resident

People who want to live in Thailand permanently need a Thailand Permanent Resident Visa. Only people who meet certain requirements, like having a work pass or an interest in Thailand, can get this visa from the Thai government. Some types of visas require people to leave the country or update their visas every so often, but the Thailand Permanent Resident Visa lets people live and work in Thailand without having to do either.

Source: Atlys

Photo by Udayaditya Barua on Unsplash.