Iraq’s education system is under the supervision of the Iraqi government as a whole. From primary to doctoral degrees, there is public education free of charge. Private education institutes do exist in Iraq. But the cost of attending them makes them undesirable to the majority of inhabitants.
List of Schools in Iraq
- For kindergarten and elementary; grades 1– 6 : Al-Adel Elementary School
- Al-Bohtry Primary School
- Al-Eelaf High school for Girls
- Al-Ameen High School for Girls
- Al Aqida – Al Rahibat High School for Girls – established 1928
- Al Hariri High School – girls’ school
- Al-I’tizaz Secondary School for Girls
- Al. Jumouriea Secondary High School for Girls
- Al-Kansaa Secondary School for Girls
- Al-Forat High School for Boys
- Al. Jumouriea Secondary High School for Boys
- Al-Mohopeen High School for Boys – Al-Khadhraa
- Al-Mutamaizeen High School for Boys – al Harthiya
- Al-Adnaniah High School for Girls
- Al-Huria High School for Girls
- Aysha High School for Girls
- Um-Salamah High School for Girls
- Al-Maarif High School for Boys
- Al-Edadia Al-Markazia High School for Boys
- Al-Jawahery High School for Boys
- Al-Najaf Al-Ashraf High School for Boys
- Al-Sharif Al-Radhi High School for Boys
Only Girl’s School:
- Al-Mouhobeen Secondary School for Boys and Girls
- Al-Mutamaizat High School for Girls
- Kourtoba High School for Girls
Only Boy’s School:
- Al-Mustaqbal High School for Boys
- Al-Sharqiya High School for Boys
- Al-Mutamaizeen High School for Boys
- Al-Resalah Al-Islamia (Al-Resalah) High School for Boys
Classification of Iraq’s Education System
Iraq’s official educational cycle lasts 12 years, with 6 years of compulsory primary education beginning at the age of six. It’s followed by 3 years of intermediate school, and finally 3 years of secondary education. This is further categorized into general secondary scientific and literary education and secondary vocational industrial, agricultural, or commercial education.
Students who complete high school and obtain the required credentials for post-secondary education enroll in universities or technical institutes, where they will study for at least four years. Students from teachers institutes, as well as students from secondary vocational types, who achieve exceptional scores in their final examinations, are eligible to enroll in colleges and universities to further their study.
Iraq Education: Pre-primary Education
Pre-primary education is available in Iraq. The Preschools cater to children between the ages of four and five.
Iraq Education: Primary School
At the age of six, students are eligible to participate. There are six grades at this institution. They are entitled to attend Intermediate School after completing an examination and receiving a Primary School Certificate.
The school system is suffering as a result of the current economic situation.
It causes parents to either not send their children to school or to have them drop out at a young age. Furthermore, instructors are dissatisfied because of their poor wages. There is a shortage of textbooks, and there is a misunderstanding between teachers and parents.
Students in Iraq’s education system then attend Intermediate Schooling, which includes grades 7-9. Students take the National Intermediate Baccalaureate Examination at the end of ninth grade. Students can then enrol in a vocational school after completing this exam.
Some Iraqi schools solely teach the intermediate stage. As a result, the kids must finish their preparatory education at a different institution. The majority of schools have both intermediate and secondary levels.
Secondary schools are for students in grades 10 through 12. Secondary schools are divided into two types: general and vocational.
Secondary school is for students in grades 10 through 12. Secondary schools are divided into two categories: general and vocational. General education schools provide a well-rounded education. Agricultural, Industrial, and Commercial schools are the three types of schools.
Public & Private Iraq Universities
Al-Monsour University College
American University of Iraq-Sulaimani
Al Yarmouk University College
Al-Turath University College
Al Maarif University College Anbar
Al Nahrain University
Al Rafidain University College
Al Rasheed University College
Bu Ali Sina University
Dijlah University College
Hamadan University of Medical Science
Hawler Medical University
Islamic Azad University – Shiraz
Ilam University of Medical Sciences
Islamic Azad University of Hamedan
Islamic Azad University of Kermanshah
Jundishaper University of Medical Sciences
Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences
Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences
Madenat Alelem University College
Mansour University College
Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz
Shiraz Payame Noor University
Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences
University of Kurdistan
University of Mustansiriyah
University of Technology-Iraq
University of Sulaimani
University of Kurdistan-Hewler
University of Basrah
University of Mosul
University of Kufa
University of Dohuk
University of Babylon
University of Wasit
University of Misan
University of Baghdad
University of Al Qadisiyah