If you are planning a trip to Canada, you may worry about your travel budget since Canada isn’t exactly known as a cheap destination. But don’t despair, I wrote this post to show you exactly how much we spent on our Canada road trip. Canada doesn’t have to be expensive to visit!
HOW TO SAVE MONEY WHEN TRAVELING CANADA
Canada is the country we spent most of our time during our one year RTW trip. For two and a half months we explored this beautiful part of the world.
You can visit the places like Vancouver Island, sightseeing in Vancouver, drove the Sea to Sky highway, marveled at the amazing parks in Alberta, hiked around the badlands in Drumheller, crossed the prairie of Saskatchewan, spent a weekend in Winnipeg and toured around Ontario.
Those who read this blog more often know that road trips are our favorite way to travel. And I can say from experience that road tripping is not just one of the best, but also one of the cheapest ways to travel!
CANADA ON A BUDGET
In this guide to save money in Canada you can find:
- Our Canada trip budget: how much did we spend on an average day in Canada?
- Canada budget infographic
- Canada budget facts and figures
- Distribution of our average daily expenses in Canada
- Detailed information about our Canada expenses
- Traveling Canada by camper van: how much does it cost?
- Campsites and budget accommodation in Canada
- The costs for food and drinks on a trip to Canada
- Activities and miscellaneous costs in Canada
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO GO TO CANADA?
Curious how much our average daily travel budget in Canada was? During our cross-Canada road trip we spent around €66/100 CAD per day as a couple!
CANADA TRAVEL BUDGET: REVIEWS FROM PEOPLE
- I traveled to Canada with my husband, all expenses are for the two of us together.
- I quote prices in € and Canadian Dollars (CAD). We traveled to Canada in the Summer of 2017, the exchange rate at that time was €1 = 1,50 AUD. Of course, the exchange rate varies, so this may be different now.
- We spent 2,5 months in Canada, on an average day we spent €66/100 CAD.
- Our average daily travel budget includes all our travel costs in Canada, it does not include the costs for our tickets to Canada.
- My Canada road trip started and ended in Vancouver.
COSTS OF PETROL IN CANADA
Petrol is relatively cheap in Canada, at least compared to the Netherlands. The downside is that American cars are not very fuel efficient. VANessa did 1 in 10 (liter per kilometer) on a good day (a.k.a. highway) but only 1 in 5 when driving in the city.
THE COSTS FOR FOOD AND DRINKS ON A TRIP TO CANADA
The easiest and most effective way to save money in Canada is by cooking your own food. Itcan made your own breakfast, coffee, lunch and dinner pretty much every day. Average daily expenses for food and drinks were €24 / 36 CAD